In the early 1930's Crossways was a sleepy hamlet of scattered bungalows and cottages, and at that time the Air Ministry acquired local heath and farm land to build an airfield. This airfield was completed in 1937 and was known as RAF Woodsford, although it was renamed RAF Warmwell a year later. RAF Warmwell played an important part in World War II, being a major fighter base during the Battle of Britain, and offering fighter protection for Portland Naval Base and other important south coast areas.
During the following years, the runways and operational areas disappeared as a result of the extraction of valuable sand and gravel by mineral companies. Several remnants of the airfield can still be seen however. The Village Hall, for example, used to have a multi-functional role, being used by the airmen for recreational use - cinema, gymnasium and NAFFI, but was used on occasions as a morgue. It is in use constantly to this day.
Much of the present village of Crossways is built on the eastern part of the former airfield site.